++CALL MY NAME AT NIGHTFALL++

Anguished ramblings of a wannabe game designer

Monday 3 August 2009

Cards part 2

Another look into my mind. Cards. I've been trying to objectify cards into an ontology. Big words! What does this mean?

I'd like everything apart from your character's name to be a card. Cards would have different types, so we could call these instances of objects of classes if we like. Or we could call them card types, I prefer the latter.

Card types? So far I've mentioned collecting items and overcoming obstacles and enemies. For items, I imagine your character needing some gear - weapons, armour, a mount. They'd also acquire more discreetly used items, such as holy icons, keys, perhaps even gold coins. These would all be items and each needs further definition if we are to apply limits and different bonuses.

A character could carry lots of weapons but they could only wield one at a time in combat. A key wouldn't be very effective at slaying a dragon, while a rusty axe probably wouldn't open a lock (though this is debatable!). Item cards.

Overcoming obstacles and your enemies? This sounds like a feat to me.
Feat cards
. I imagine characters to develop a background and catalog of past achievements as they age. These should define the character and in many cases add to their skill through the knowledge and experience gained. Feats shouldn't be limited, they'd be a major bragging and comparison factor. They'd always apply to your character.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home